There is bad reporting going on around the news about OnlyFans. Yes it is due to the "payment processor" MasterCard but *that* reason for change was due to Exodus Cry's incessant activism against PornHub and their attempts to abolish all legal forms of pornography, sex work, Strip Clubs, etc under the guise of "think of the children".

@cj iow, activism is only good when it lobbies for the values I support...

Also, claiming it is all about "think of the children" is a strawman. I never heard of Exodus Cry before your post, but a cursory look at their site and it is very clear they are up front against the sex *industry*, which is not necessarily the same as being puritanical or anti-sex.

@raphael It's not a strawman. I had a fuller comment, but i really don't want to be discussing the abhorrent practice of child sex slavery.

@cj We don't need to discuss that, and it's kind of my point: there is a great number of people that don't even need to use "think of the children" as a justification to advocate against the sex industry and the normalization of pornography.

@raphael

Removing cj since he doesn't want to get into that debate.

The normalization of a sex industry would allow it to be properly regulated and thus protect the ones offering services, those receiving services, and ensure that money transfers are properly taxed.

I don't see what could possibly be wrong with a safer, healthier industry that allows more freedom and safety for both sellers and buyers.

@emacsen

> I don't see what could possibly be wrong with a safer, healthier industry

This smells of the libertarian argument that ignores

(a) moral implications
(b) scale
(c) context

of human actions in society at large.

Before anything, ask yourself if sex is something that should be "industrialized", especially considering how the internet takes this to planetary scale, with an endless number of people involved and so complex that is impossible to predict catastrophical outcomes.

@raphael

> (a) moral implications

Sex workers currently are stigmatized in nearly every way, from not being able to access health care, to banking, discrimination, needing to hide their past from law enforcement, employers, etc.

Does that sound moral to you?

> (b) scale

In some countries, sex workers are unionized and heavily regulated. That looks like scale to me.

Prostitution is legal in other countries and the sky doesn't fall.

Follow

@emacsen

> from not being able to access health care, to banking...

The solution to that problem is by establishing a better social structure and a way to support people that got into it, not to legitimize it.

> Prostitution is legal in other countries and the sky doesn't fall.

So is gambling. So is animal factory farming. You know that "it is legal" is not a valid argument when talking about the morality of actions.

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Communick Social

The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!